- 3 small potatoes (3/4 pound)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and cut up
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn or mixed vegetables
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Paprika (optional)
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. In a small saucepan cook garlic and dried basil in margarine or butter for 15 seconds. Add to mashed potatoes along with salt. Gradually beat in enough milk to make light and fluffy. Set aside.
- For filling, in a medium saucepan cook onion and carrot in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, frozen vegetables, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Heat until bubbly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan. Drop mashed potatoes in 4 mounds over vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and, if desired, paprika. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese begins to brown. Makes 4 servings.